Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Visual Studio 2008 Install Fest

The WI.NET December meeting / Microsoft Holiday Party / Visual Studio 2008 Install Fest was held 12/18/2007.

The event was delayed one week due to a snow storm. I was happy that the event was canceled because of bad weather, as I drive about 50 or more miles(depending on meeting location) to attend these events.

As a matter of fact I had to miss the Arcready event the next day because icy roads. I had set out that morning with the intention of going to the Microsoft office in Waukesha, but because of icy road conditions I encountered along with radio traffic reports of accidents and cars in the ditch in Ozaukee county, I decided it would be better to skip it and just head for work : (

Back to today's event. There were more than double the attendance of the normal WI.NET meeting, probably due to free copy of Visual Studio 2008, and the other raffle prizes provided by Microsoft, Apress and other meeting sponsors.

There was at toy collection for needy children. My contribution was a Sponge Bob Nerf Football.

My Visual Studio 2008 Install Experience:

Equipment:
  • Compaq nx 9420 Laptop
  • 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
  • 3 GB RAM
  • Vista Business 32 bit

Doing the default install of Visual Studio 2008 from the provided DVD took 103 minutes.
I was fortunate to be seated near an electrical outlet so was plugged in the whole time.

Problems encountered along the way:

Early in the install process I was prompted to reboot to install updates. I did this and my computer rebooted around 8 times. When it finally came back I hand to manually restart the Visual Studio Installer.

A guy sitting near me postponed the reboot to install updates until after the the Visual Studio 2008 installation was complete. He only had one, very long reboot at the end.

Oh, by the way: Visual Studio 2008 ROCKS!

Just as VS 2005 was a massive improvements over VS 2003, VS 2008 takes it to the next level.

Things I love about VS 2008:
  • Multi -targeting
  • Linq, especially using Linq on Strongly typed datasets.
  • Anonomous types
  • Partial methods
  • Properties without creating private member variable
There were short presentations by several speakers on their favorite new feature in VS 2008.

The attendees voted Brennan Stehling's as the best presentation for which he won a Zune.

A big thank you to Microsoft, Direct Supply, Apress and all the other event sponsors for making this event possible, and to Larry Clarkin, Dave Bost and Scott Issacs for their hard work in planning this great party.

No comments: